Creating innovative bio-convergent technologies for better human life

Interviewee: Prof. Fiorillo

Interviewer: 이근민 (KeunMin Ken LEE)

2017_11_2.jpg

1. What is your current research about? Please give us a brief explanation. (현재 어떤 연구를 하고 계신가요? 간단한 설명 부탁드립니다.)

2. My research seeks to develop and test a general theory of the brain. After working for many years on dopamine and reward, I published several papers on theory. In the the last few years my lab has focused on testing the theory. We published experimental results that confirm the predictions of the theory, and thus provide evidence for it. A major focus of current research is to use probabilities to the describe the information and predictions associated with a physical system.

제 연구는 뇌에 관한 일반 이론 (general theory)을 개발하고 테스트하는 것이 목표입니다. 저는 몇 년간 도파민과 보상에 대해 연구한 후에 몇 편의 이론 논문을 썼습니다. 지난 몇 년간 제 랩은 이 이론을 테스트하는 것에 집중하고 있습니다. 이론을 바탕으로 얻은 예측과 일치하는 실험 결과를 발표함으로써 우리 이론이 옳다는 것을 검증하고 있습니다. 현재 진행 중인 연구의 핵심 중 하나는 물리적 시스템과 연관된 예측과 정보를 확률을 통해 기술하는 것입니다.

1. How is the trend in your field? What are some of the hot topics being discussed today? (지금 연구 트렌드는 어떤가요? 어떤 주제들이 주목받고 있나요?)

I have an unusual answer to that question: I do not feel that I belong to a specific field. I worked for a long time in “the dopamine field.”  Now my work is related to Bayesian brain theory, information theory, reinforcement learning, and neurophysiology.  However, my research is very distinct from that of others in these fields, and it does not fit well in any of these fields. I also disagree with the leaders of these fields about what is important.  I think that many of the “hot topics” are not very important.

이 질문에 대해선 전 좀 특이한 답변을 하겠습니다. 저는 어떤 특별한 필드에 소속되어 있다고 느끼지 못합니다. 저는 꽤 오랫동안 “도파민 필드”에서 시간을 보냈습니다. 이제 제 연구는 Bayesian 뇌 이론, 정보 이론, 강화 학습, 그리고 신경 생리학과 연관되어 있습니다. 그러나 제 연구는 이 필드들에 있는 다른 연구들과는 차별화 돼 있고 어느 하나에도 정확히 소속되어 있지는 않습니다. 더불어 이 분야들의 리더들이 중요하다고 하는 점들에 대해서도 저는 동의하지 않는 부분이 있습니다. 저는 꽤 많은 “핫 토픽”들이 그리 중요하지 않다고 생각합니다.

1. How did your field start? Is there an interesting history to it? (이 연구 분야는 어떻게 시작했나요? 재밌는 역사가 있나요?)

To a large extent I am in my own field.  It happened through a series of ideas that led me to develop a theory, and to leave my work on the physiology of dopamine.  The most important was my discovery of the work of E.T. Jaynes on probabilities, which are essential for understanding information and brain function.

크게 봤을 때 저는 저만의 분야를 가지고 있습니다. 제 아이디어가 연속적으로 이어지면서 이론을 개발하게 되었고 결국 도파민 관련 일을 떠나 제 분야를 개척하게 되었습니다. 가장 결정적인 부분은 E.T. Jaynes가 적립한 확률에 관한 내용을 찾은 것입니다. 이 내용은 제가 정보와 뇌 작용을 이해하는데 근본적으로 필요한 내용이었습니다.

1. Why did you jump into this field yourself? What was your motivation? (왜 이 분야의 일을 하게 되었나요? 특별한 계기가 있나요?)

I became a scientist because I wanted to be able to follow my own scientific interests (if I were willing to work for someone else, I could work less and make more money).  My interests changed over time, as I followed my best ideas.  I left my old field, which made it difficult to find a faculty position.  That is the major reason that I came to Korea.

저는 제가 하고 싶은 과학연구를 하기 위해 과학자가 되었습니다. (제가 다른 사람을 위해 일 할 거였으면 지금보단 편하게 일하고 돈도 더 벌 수 있었겠죠). 저의 관심 분야는 제가 생각할 수 있는 가장 좋은 아이디어를 따라가다 보니 시간이 지나며 바뀌었습니다. 그렇게 저는 연구 분야를 바꿨고 이것 덕분에 교수직을 찾는 데 어려움이 있었죠. 이건 제가 한국에 온 가장 큰 이유입니다.

1. What are some of the challenges you face when conducting research? (연구를 할 때 어떤 어려움이 있었나요?)

There are many challenges in any area of research. A special challenge for me is that I have changed my research subject, so I don’t have many of the advantages that most scientists have after many years of work in one field, such as reputation and connections.

제 분야에는 어려움이 많습니다. 저에게 특별히 어려웠던 부분은 제가 분야를 바꿨기 때문에 한 분야를 꾸준히 연구한 여러 과학자가 가질 수 있는 좋은 평판이나 관계 등이 없었다는 점입니다.

1. Do you have a hobby or an activity you do to relieve stress from those challenges? (어려움 등을 맞닥트렸을 때 또는 스트레스를 풀기 위해 하는 활동이나 취미가 있나요?)

Hiking and weight lifting.  I feel better after exercise, and there is now a lot of evidence that it is good for the brain.  It actually promotes the growth of new neurons.

하이킹과 웨이트 리프팅을 합니다. 운동하면 기분이 좋아지고 현재 운동이 뇌에 좋다는 증거가 많이 나오고 있습니다. 사실 새로운 뉴런이 자라도록 유도합니다.

1. What future research topics do you have in mind? (미래에는 어떤 연구를 하실 생각이신가요?)

I want to use probabilities to describe exactly what one physical thing (like a neuron) knows about another physical thing.  Another way to say this is that I want to understand the physical basis of information and prediction.

저는 어떤 물리적인 개체가 (뉴런 등) 다른 물리적인 개체에 대해 알고 있는 것이 무엇인지 확률을 통해 기술해 보고 싶습니다. 다른 말로 하자면 정보와 예측에 관해 물리적인 기반이 무엇인지 이해하고 싶습니다.

1. Do you have any comments you would like to give to students who are interested in your work? (이 분야에 관심이 있을 학생들에게 해주고 싶은 말씀이 있나요?)

I would like to encourage all students to follow their own interests.  Pursue a graduate degree in science only if you enjoy it, and pursue your own interests within science.  Science is hard work and frustrating, even more than many other types of work, but it is enjoyable for people who are motivated to answer scientific questions.  Science is a strange pursuit in many ways, and most people could never enjoy doing it.  I think that there are far too many KAIST students who discover in graduate school that they do not like science, but they feel that they must continue to do it anyway.  The worst outcome is that they could spend their life doing something that they do not like.  In addition, they will never have much success, because it is not possible to do good science without liking the process of doing science.  It would be better for some students to change their plans and choose another direction in life.  This may be a strange message to convey here, but I think it is an important and rare message that is not heard by most KAIST students.  I would be happy to discuss it further with anyone who is interested.

저는 많은 학생이 자기 자신이 관심이 가는 일을 했으면 좋겠습니다. 과학을 정말 즐긴다면 대학원에 진학하고, 진학하고 나서도 자기 자신만의 관심 분야에 집중했으면 합니다. 과학은 다른 여러 가지 일들과 비교했을 때 더 힘들고 짜증 나는 일이지만, 과학적 탐구라는 동기를 가진 사람에게는 즐거운 일입니다. 과학이란 여러 방면으로 특이한 일이며 대부분 사람은 좋아할 수 없는 것입니다. 저는 너무 많은 KAIST 학생들이 대학원에 와서 비로소 과학이 재미없다고 느끼지만 그래도 계속 해야 한다고 느낀다고 생각합니다. 가장 나쁜 결과는 그 학생들이 평생 하기 싫은 일을 하며 살게 되는 것이죠. 더불어 성공은 미비할 것입니다. 왜냐하면, 좋은 과학은 과학의 과정을 좋아하지 않으면 나올 수 없기 때문이죠. 몇몇 학생들은 계획을 바꿔 인생의 새로운 방향을 찾는 게 더 좋아 보입니다. 이런 글에서 하기에는 조금 안 맞는 얘기가 될 수 있지만, 대부분의 KAIST 학생들이 듣지 못하는, 중요하지만 드문 메시지라고 생각합니다. 연구에 관심 있는 학생이 있다면 더 많은 얘기를 나눌 수 있으니 언제든 환영입니다.