Creating innovative bio-convergent technologies for better human life

bioeng_admin 2004-11-30 20:35:18
0 71
Several seats are available for undergraduate individual researches at the CNSL (Computational NeuroSystems Laboratory) from Fall semester. Many undergraduate students at top universities conduct researches during their undergraduate years, and the department of BioSystems encourages this undergraduate individual studies.

The students are expected to conduct researches on intelligent systems based on brain information processing mechanism such as

(1) auditory models from cochlea to auditory cortex for roboust speech recognition
(2) audio-visual recognition of the emotion and noisy speech
(3) top-down selective attention
(4) pro-active learning for machine consciousness
(5) cognition and memeory studies with fMRI

In other words we are interested in developing the head of Terminator or the intellihent robot (in "I, Robot").

It is required to work at least 8 hours per week on the research/study.
Why?
The efforts vs. results curve is nonlinear.
With the efforts below the threshold level
NOTHING COMES OUT!
To get some results you need put more efforts than the threshold, which I assume from my previous experience about 8 hours per week.
Also, please do not expect to have good results within 4 months. It takes longer than one semester. My previous experiences tell me that at least 2 semesters are required for a publishable results even for the top students! 3 semesters are reasonable.

The background on the Neural Information Processing Algorithm will be strongly appreciated.

If you are interested, please write a proposal/intention (about one page) and visit my office (Room 1101) in the afternoon of Tuesday or in the morning of Wednesday.

Since the number of seats is limited, all the applicants may not be admitted.

Soo-Young