Creating innovative bio-convergent technologies for better human life

연사 Dr. Rajib Schu 
소속 University of Zurich 
일시 12.3(화), 오전 11시 
장소 정문술빌딩 #205호 

우리학과는 University of Zurich에 Visiting Scientist로 계시는 Dr. Rajib Schuber를 모시고 12/3(화) Inspiring Talk를 개최합니다. 여러분들의 많은 참여 바랍니다!

Title: Nanotools for neurobiotechnology.

Name: Dr. Rajib Schubert

Abstract

I will present 3 nanotechnology-based tools I have developed to advance our understanding of complex biological systems such as the brain and cancer at the single cell and multicellular level. The first tool is called ‘virus stamping’, in which viruses are reversibly bound to a delivery vehicle that is brought into physical contact with the target cell on a surface or in tissue, using magnetic forces. Different single cells in the same tissue can be infected with different viruses and an individual cell can be simultaneously infected with different viruses. I use rabies, lenti, herpes and adeno-associated viruses to drive expression of fluorescent markers or a calcium indicator in target cells in cell culture, retina, human brain organoid and the brain of live animals. Virus stamping provides a versatile solution for targeted single-cell infection of diverse cell types, both in vitro and in vivo. The second tool is the atomic force microscope (AFM) in combination optical microscopy to quantify forces of receptor ligand interactions. This combinatorial approach uses a probing tip functionalized with a ligand to image living cells at high-resolution with optical imaging, and simultaneously localize and characterize specific ligand–receptor binding events using the AFM. I will present two applications of this AFM based nanotool: first, with mapping virus receptor interactions in living cells, and second, measuring neuronal cell-cell adhesion receptor – ligand interactions. The last and third tool that I will talk about is the use of novel recombinant binders called DARPins. DARPins (an acronym for designed ankyrin repeat proteins) are genetically engineered antibody mimetic proteins typically exhibiting highly specific and high-affinity target protein binding. I will present two applications DARPins: first, DARPins to engineer viruses for cell type specific infections, and second, as novel optical imaging probes. I will end by giving an overview of how I plan on integrating and further developing the tools presented here to investigate mechanisms of synaptic adhesion proteins in the context of neuronal cell cell adhesions and their role in mediating cellular communication.

포스터_Inspiring Talk-2019-12월.jpg